About

Monday, March 21, 2011

WHY IT WORKS - Penelope's Room

I've mentioned before that I've been collecting design ideas as we put together a room for my 1 1/2 year old daughter, Evie. I'm so excited! Nothing like a redecorating project to get those creative juices flowing. My husband on the other hand is bracing himself for some DIY weekends. :)

Here's a photo I found via ohdeedoh that I find oh so inspiring.  Here's what I love about this room:

WHY IT WORKS:

(via melissaesplin.com)

  • The Color Palette.  I'm particularly fond of non-pink room for little girls.  I just love that it's unexpected and fresh.  Isn't the peach, orange and yellows in this room so charming?
  • Wall Treatment.  I really love the scalloped border.  So eye catching and graphic.  Melissa created this one using contact paper.  I'm leaning towards just painting the ceiling in Evie's room and keeping the walls off-white.  I think I could create the same effect with paint.
  • Repitition of Color.  The best way to give your room a put together feel is to have your splashes of color spread throughout the room.  I like to have the colors talk to each other.  :)

INSPIRATION:

  • Paint Treatments.  There are so many fun ways to work with paint.  Paint is THE cheapest way to change a room and there are a ton of great ideas out there for using paint in unexpected ways.  I've been so happy with our painted striped walls.  I've also seen some great stencils, like these ones here.  The scallops here is just another great idea.  Again, Melissa used contact paper, but once you make a template, you could easily do this with paint.  Click here for her tutorial.
  • White furniture.  Use white as a unifying color to bring all your different pieces of furniture together.  White paint or spray paint is easy to use and you can't go wrong.  White furniture will work in any space, any time.
  • Splashes of color.  The best and most economical way to bring in color is through large pieces that can be changed and isn't a forever investment.  Rugs, bedding, artwork, pillows are all high impact, low commitment ways to bring great color into a room.


Click here to see more of Penelope's nursery. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the progress of Evie's room!!

Melissa said...

Thanks so much for the feature!! Penelope's room turned out so much better than I ever thought it would. Now we're in a new place so I've got to re-decorate her space with a little brother in mind! I'm REALLY glad I didn't go with all pink with her decor. Now I can "masculenize" the room without buying all new stuff!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...