About

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Another Weekend Project *almost*

So this weekend, I tackled another project in Evie's room.  I was finally going to make some window treatments for the 2 small windows in her room.  I wanted to make something that coordinated this wildflower pillow I got on sale from PBTeen.  This pillow was the inspiration for the whole room. 



(image via pbteen.com)


So I bought a fitted crib sheet from Pottery Barn Kids.  It was the only way for me to get additional fabric in that print to work with.



(image via potterybarnkids.com)

I was holding up the sheet trying to get a feel for how I could make a simple valance with it.  When I had an epiphany!  I thought the billowy shape at the bottom (from the elastic) made for a perfect balloon valance.  I had something like this in mind.


(image via target.com)



What I got was this:



(ACK!  Don't do this!)


Nooo!  Clearly not what I had envisioned.  I even tried to make it work by adding 2 bands of ribbon, but I think the problem is that it's just too small.. The way it comes in on each side just does NOT work!

To be honest, I really wanted it to work.  My husband was the first to say... "ummm honey... I'm not sure this looks right."  And defensively and jokingly, I said something like... "who's the designer here?"  However, I quickly realized this really was not going to be ok.  Then I thought, "There is no way I'm going to post this project on Monday!"  But..."maybe I should." 

I decided to humbly write this post because I want you all to know that even people who dive head first into DIYs, have their share of mistakes.  This shouldn't prevent you from trying them.  As with most things in life, there's only one way to get better .. do it and learn from your mistakes.  My guess is that for every beautifully decorated room or home that you see on a blog or wherever, there's a story of something didn't  go exactly right.  At least I can speak for myself!  :)

So, here's my Plan B.  I just order this fabric from fabric.com.

(via fabric.com)

I plan to do something simple like add some ribbon trim like this:



(via potterybarnkids.com)

 OK... regrouping and getting ready to have another go at this.  I'll keep you posted.  :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...