About

Monday, May 9, 2011

WHY IT WORKS - Sarah's Guest Room

Happy Monday everyone!  Today's room is a guest room done by Sarah Richardson.  She is one of my favorite designers.  I love her eye for pattern and color.  She always incorporates great prints into her spaces.  This is a simple photo, but still has plenty for us to take away for inspiration.

WHY IT WORKS:


(via sarahrichardsondesign.com)

  • I'm loving the wallpaper behind the bed.  It's a great spot for a shot of graphic punch.  Small enough so it's not too scary, but big enough to make an impact. 
  • Wall Art.  I thought this was an interesting place to hang art.  If I were decorating the space, I would not hang art below those windows afraid it would be too low.  But I love how it works here.
  • Upholstered headboard and white bedding.  I love upholsterd headboards and they are so easy to make.  You can wrap any wood headboard with foam, batting and fabric with a staple gun.  It just makes a room feel so special and plush.  Also... I've mentioned before how much I love white bedding.  Clean and serene.

INSPIRATION:
  • Wallpaper.  It's coming back.  I think it's gotten a bad rap for too long.  There are a lot of really fresh, beautiful options out there.  Check out Graham and Brown for inspiration.  *drool*  And behind a bed is a great place to take a risk and experiment.
  • Wall Art.  Don't be afraid to hang pieces at eye level.  More often than not, we have a tendency to hang things to high.  Eye level or even slightly below is just fine.  It feels so nice when you walk around a home and see art at eye level, it feels warm and thought out.
  • Focal Point.  For any room, decide what you want the "star" to be.  Rug? Curtains? Furniture?  And then let the rest of the room complement the "star".  Too many focal points make for a cluttered and chaotic feeling space.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...